Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sometimes it takes time to save some

Since I'm no longer employed, and we have to make due on his pretty small paycheck, I'm trying to figure out ways that will save us some money. I know I could cut out the internet and t.v., etc. However, having those also includes my phone. Internet I need for school and the t.v. just comes with it. Because we'd be saving a negligible amount otherwise. Besides, since we aren't going out and entertaining ourselves that we, it IS our entertainment. I've been looking at some ways to cut back on some money. First thing is food. We've not been eating out as much as we used to, but we're going to cut back even more now, if we eat out at all. This also means making sure that there is something packed up for him to take in his lunch every night. This also requires meal planning, which I'm going to sit down and start, especially now that I go back to school on Monday. We need to know what we're having, when so we can plan our grocery lists and we can know what to expect for supper. The only thing that can put a cog in this is whenever Gary and Mike come over. Since we never know when that will be. Always on Tues and Weds, if they come over at all. I have to plan my biggest meals for those two days.

Also, laundry is another area where we can save some money. Currently, we spend around $25+/month on laundry. That's laundry soap, fabric softener as well as dryer sheets. I got the idea from Cassie about making my own homemade laundry soap. So I went to my local Rural King and bought Borax, Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and Fels-Naptha bar soap. Add a wide mouthed pint mason jar, a bowl with lid (for the grated soap), a cheese grater, a table spoon measure and a 1/2 cup measure and we're in business. I had multiples of the all the one time use items. So the soaps cost me $10.45. And since it is 1 part borax, 1 part washing soda and 2 parts grated bar soap, it's really not expensive. And I use 2 tbsp per large load. I have harder water, so it feels cleaner to me than using just 1 tbsp. However, if you have soft water, then you should only need the 1tbsp. I also want to get one of those drying racks that you can set inside or outside, instead of clothes line. I don't have any clothes line bars in my yard and since I rent, that's not very practical. However, I could just get one of those racks and on pretty days, I could set out clothes on it to dry outside, and on not so great days, I could always set them inside to dry, instead of using the dryer. Which would warm up the house, which would cause our air to kick on more often, etc etc etc. I think one of those racks is around 10-15$. Not bad, when you think of the savings you'd make. Anyways, just some of the thoughts running around in my head.

1 comment: